(view resume as PDF)
M.S. Coursework in Energy Management & Policy, University of Pennsylvania, 1986
B.S., Resource Economics and Environmental Studies, University of Vermont, 1983
2010-present: Principal, Energy Futures Group, Hinesburg, VT
2000-2010: Energy Efficiency Division Manager and Managing Consultant, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation (VEIC), Burlington, VT
1986-2000: Director, Energy Rated Homes of Vermont (ERH-VT), Burlington, VT
1989-2000: Development Director, Single Family Services, VEIC, Burlington, VT
Richard Faesy is a principal and co-founder of Energy Futures Group in Hinesburg, Vermont. With more than 30 years’ experience in the clean energy industry working with hundreds of clients and programs throughout the U.S. and Canada, he is highly regarded as a national expert and reliable project manager. As a Certified Energy Rater, LEED Accredited Professional, and DOE Home Energy Score Assessor, he specializes in residential buildings, technologies and markets, with expertise in residential new construction and retrofits, strategic electrification, energy rating and labeling, building codes, financing, green building and effective energy efficiency policy, program design and implementation. Richard helped create the national home energy rating industry, was the founding president of the board of the Northeast HERS Alliance and was a founding board member of the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), including a term as president. Richard was featured in a national Dateline/NBC story on energy efficiency and was awarded RESNET’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He currently works with clients in California, Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. He is also chair of the board of the Energy Coop of Vermont, a fuel dealer transitioning to become a full-service energy company offering weatherization, heat pumps, wood pellets and other services.
- California Alternative Energy and Transportation Financing Authority (CAEATFA). Oversees EFG’s support of CAEATFA’s development of financing products and regulations for California. (2016–present)
- Connecticut Energy Efficiency Board. Residential programs advisor assisting the Board with goal setting, utility oversight and planning and technical assistance. (2007-present)
- Efficiency Vermont. Senior Advisor for residential program design, implementation support and policy guidance for Vermont’s statewide, award-winning energy efficiency utility. Focus on residential retrofit programs, fuel dealer partnerships, cold climate heat pump program, home energy labeling, energy savings guarantees. (2000-2014)
- Green Mountain Power. Led the development and project management for the Vermont Zero Energy Now Program/Solar Bonus Program, combining energy efficiency, heat pumps, biomass and renewables. (2016-2017)
- Iowa Environmental Council/Environmental Law and Policy Center. Iowa Technical Reference Manual (TRM) review, evaluation review and program design assistance. (2015-present)
- Maine Public Utilities Commission (PUC). Lead consultant on team to assist in oversight and evaluation of the energy efficiency programs of the Efficiency Maine Trust. (2015-2017)
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. Team lead for innovative program offering 50 low/moderate income homeowners guaranteed positive cash-flow financing and services to support cold-climate heat pumps and solar PV systems. (2017-present)
- National Association of State Energy Officials (NASEO) EMPRESS (Energy Metrics to Promote Residential Energy Scorecards in States). Led the harmonization effort to develop technical and labeling collaboration between HERS and DOE Home Energy Score. (2016-present)
- Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP) HELIX (Home Energy Labeling Information Exchange). Led the governance and business development teams in developing the data system to populate MLS systems with home energy information. (2016-present)
- Rhode Island Energy Efficiency and Resource Management Council. Consultant leading the residential team and overseeing the residential new construction and existing homes programs in Rhode Island. (2008-present)
- U.S. Department of Energy/Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Senior Advisor and Aggregated Products lead for Program Design Team of DOE’s Technical Assistance Project for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) communities and states. (2010-2011)
- Vermont Public Service Department. Supported stakeholder groups then led development of reports to the Vermont Legislature on 1) Vermont Home Energy Score and Label (2012-2013) and 2) Commercial/Multifamily/Mixed-Use Building Energy Labeling & Benchmarking (2014).
- Vermont Public Service Department – Vermont Energy Code Development and Updates. Lead for updating Vermont’s Residential Building Energy Standards (RBES) and Commercial Building Energy Standards (CBES) to above 2018 IECC levels. (2018-2019)
- Vermont Thermal Efficiency Task Force Committee. Committee Chair of Finance and Funding Committee of Vermont’s Legislatively-mandated Thermal Efficiency Task Force charged with developing a plan to weatherize 25% of Vermont’s homes by 2020. (2012)
- “Tier 3” – Statewide Total Energy Program (“STEP”) Beyond Fossil Fuels, for the High Meadows Fund. October 2018.
- Populating the MLS with Energy Information – A Progress Report, Proceedings of ACEEE 2018 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2018.
- Accelerating the Pace to Fossil-Free Residential New Construction, Proceedings of ACEEE 2018 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2018.
- Moving Vermont Existing Homes to “Zero Energy Now” through a Comprehensive Retrofit Approach, Proceedings of ACEEE 2016 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2016.
- Benchmarking Maine’s Energy Efficiency Performance, (with Cx Associates and Wirtshafter Associates) for the Maine Public Utilities Commission, October 2015.
- Development of a Voluntary Commercial/Multifamily/Mixed-Use Building Energy Label, Report to the Vermont Legislature, for the Vermont Public Service Department, December 2014.
- Market Potential for High Performance Homes in Vermont (with J. Grevatt, L. Black-Plumeau, M. Collins, A. McLellan and C. Eisinger), High Meadows Fund, November 2014.
- Ductless Heat Pump Meta Study (with J. Grevatt, B. McGowan and K. Champagne), NEEP EM&V Forum, November 2014.
- Residential Building Energy Scoring and Labeling – An Update from the Leading States, (with L. Badger, D. Ferington, I. Finlayson, J. Jane and E, Levin), Proceedings of ACEEE 2014 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2014.
- How Energy Code Compliance Programs Can Generate More Savings Opportunities, with N. Corsetti, for Conservation Services Group Spark Series, April 2014.
- Development of a Voluntary Residential Building Energy Label, Report to the Vermont Legislature, for the Vermont Public Service Department, December 2013.
- “Finding the Funds – Financing Community Energy Improvements”, Vermont Energy and Climate Action Network 11th Annual Community Energy and Climate Action Conference, Fairlee, VT. December 2018.
- “Pathways to Residential Building Decarbonization – Home Energy Rating & Labeling to Scale-Up”, NEEP Summit, Middletown, RI. October 2018.
- “Energy Savings Guarantees: Not Just for ESCOs Anymore”, ACEEE 2018 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, Pacific Grove, CA, August 2018.
- “Harmonizing HERS and Home Energy Score”, National Home Performance Coalition Conference, Philadelphia, PA. April 2018.
- “TED Talk on Strategic Electrification”, National Home Performance Coalition Conference, Philadelphia, PA. April 2018.
- “New Frontiers in Vermont’s Clean Energy Future”, keynote address at Solarfest Energy Savings Day, Manchester, Vermont. March 2017.
- “Integrating Renewables and Building: Zero Energy Now”, Renewable Energy Vermont Conference, S. Burlington, VT, October 2016.