(view resume as PDF)
M.A. in Development Studies: Sustainable Development, Distinction, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Republic of South Africa, 2002
Coursework in Ethics and Public Policy, 4.0, Harvard University, Massachusetts (MA), 1999
B.A., Anthropology; B.M Violin Performance, Cum Laude, Rice University, Texas, 1998
2016-present: Senior Consultant, Energy Futures Group, Hinesburg, Vermont (VT)
2011-2015: Executive Director, Renewable Energy Vermont, Montpelier, VT
2008-2011: Program Manager, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, Burlington, VT
2004-2008: Program Coordinator, Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game, Boston, MA
2002-2004: Environmental Educator, Town of Brookline, Waquoit Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, MA
Gabrielle specializes in the development of policy and programs for promotion of renewable energy, strategic electrification and energy efficiency, with a special focus on efforts to integrate all three. She has extensive expertise in policy and planning from work as a consultant, as director of Vermont’s statewide renewable energy industry trade association, a member of the Vermont System Planning Committee (addressing transmission grid reliability planning) and as Chair of the Board of the Burlington Electric Department (BED), Vermont’s largest municipal electric utility. In the latter role Gabrielle has provided strategic direction on BEDs IRP, maintaining BED’s 100% renewably-sourced portfolio and on Burlington’s goal to be a net zero city across all energy use by 2030. Gabrielle brings to her policy and planning work a grounded understanding of what it takes to move markets from policy incubation in the legislative arena, to program design in the regulatory arena, to the implementation arena, having managed residential efficiency programs, renewable energy incentive programs and – most recently – pilot programs to simultaneously promote efficiency, electrification of space heating and customer-sited renewables.
- Vermont Clean Energy Finance Report. Conduct the research and analysis, survey design and interview process, and author the Vermont Clean Energy Finance Report (2018–2020).
- Massachusetts “Solar Access” Program. Design, develop, and manage a comprehensive retrofit program at 100 low-income properties incorporating heat pumps, solar and weatherization audits for the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. Program requires no money down by coordinating existing financing and incentives and provides an energy savings guarantee (2017-present).
- Natural Resources Defense Council. Review/analysis and development/delivery of testimony pertaining to Ohio utility request to build 900 MWs of renewable power. Review, analysis and critique of Michigan’s Integrated Resource Planning process and outcome, with particular emphasis on development of renewable energy scenarios and related assumptions (2017). Review and analysis of utility efficiency program plan filings in Ohio and Maryland in support of expert witness testimony (2016).
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA). Manage the Hudson Valley Heat Pump Program – a comprehensive approach to residential energy savings incorporating heat pumps, weatherization, solar and detailed data savings monitoring (2017-present).
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Identify and implement methods to autopopulate the Multiple Listing Service with residential solar data in Vermont, New Hampshire (2016–present).
- Green Mountain Power. Designed, managed “Zero Energy Now!”, a comprehensive residential package including efficiency, space heating electrification and renewables (2015-2017). Researched, assessed and forecasted potential utility retail kWh sales incorporating base/medium/high scenarios of heat pump and electric vehicle installations (2016).
- NYSERDA. Research, analysis for a Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Market Characterization Study. (2016 – 2017)
- Renewable Energy Vermont. Managed industry association representing solar, wind, hydro, bio, geothermal and efficiency businesses. Responsibilities included policy development with the state legislature and utility regulators, oversight of public education efforts and renewable energy conferences. Doubled membership and budget during Executive Director tenureship. (2011-2015)
- Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan. Responsible for leading review and commenting on state energy plan on behalf of renewable industry. (2011-2015)
- Vermont Net-Metering Program. Convened and oversaw the review, assessment, commenting and provided ongoing testimony on the continual development, legislative process and regulatory structure of Vermont’s Net-Metering Program before Vermont’s Legislature, Public Service Department and Public Service Board. (2011-2015)
- Vermont Renewable Energy Standard. Convened and oversaw the review, assessment, commenting and provided ongoing testimony on the initial and legislative development and regulatory structure of Vermont’s Renewable Energy Standard before Vermont’s Legislature, Public Service Department and Public Service Board. (2011-2015)
- Vermont Small Scale Renewable Energy Incentive Program. Managed the Vermont Small Scale Renewable Energy Incentive Program, including analysis and program modifications. (2008-2011)
- Vermont Community Energy Mobilization Project. Designed, implemented and evaluated a volunteer-executed, “neighbor-to-neighbor” weatherization and efficiency program. (2008-2010)
Selected Presentations and Papers
- Speaker and Lead Author, American Council on Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE)
— “Burlington Electric Department: One Approach to the Utility of the Future.” California. 2018.
— “Next Generation Residential Retrofit Programs.” Virginia. 2017.
— “The Challenges of Comparing PV’s Success to Efficiency.” California. 2016.
- Speaker, Solar Canada, (Canada), 2016. “Group Net-Metering: Challenges and Opportunities.”
- Member, Policy Committee, American Public Power Association, (DC). 2018 – present.
- Board Director, Burlington Electric Commission, (VT) 2014 – present. Chair: 2016 – present.
- Board Director, Renewable Energy Vermont Education Fund, (VT) 2013-2016.
- Supply-Side Representative, Vermont System Planning Committee, (VT) 2011–2014.