(view resume as PDF)
M.S. Coursework in Energy Management & Policy, University of Pennsylvania, 1986
B.S., Resource Economics and Environmental Studies, University of Vermont, 1983
2010-present: Principal, Energy Futures Group, Hinesburg, VT
2000-2010: Energy Efficiency Division Manager, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation (VEIC), Burlington, VT
1986-2000: Director, Energy Rated Homes of Vermont (ERH-VT), Burlington, VT
1989-2000: Development Director, Single Family Services, VEIC, Burlington, VT
As a Certified Energy Rater and LEED Accredited Professional, Richard Faesy specializes in residential buildings, technologies and markets, with a focus on residential retrofit, energy rating and labeling, ENERGY STAR Homes, building codes, energy efficiency financing, green building and effective energy efficiency policy, program design and implementation. He currently works with clients in Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, the U.S. federal government and others. He has been active locally, regionally and nationally in many residential new construction and retrofit, energy rating and disclosure, energy financing, codes and green building efforts for more than 25 years. Richard helped create and was the founding president of the board of the Northeast HERS Alliance, and was a founding board member of the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), serving from inception in 1995 until 2010, including terms as president and other officer positions. Richard has been featured in a national Dateline/NBC story on energy efficiency and was also awarded RESNET’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Prior to co-founding Energy Futures Group, Richard managed the Energy Efficiency Division of the Vermont Energy Investment Corporation’s (VEIC) consulting business. As a leader and technical expert, he has a reputation for delivering fresh thinking grounded in reality and experience in energy efficiency policy, program design and projects. Strong communication, management and planning skills ensure no surprises.
- Connecticut Energy Efficiency Board. Residential programs advisor assisting the Board with goal setting, utility oversight and planning and technical assistance. 2007-present.
- Connecticut Fund for the Environment / Environment Northeast. Energy efficiency financing programs comparisons research white paper. 2012.
- Eastern Resources Group. Supported development of strategies and materials for DOE’s Better Buildings Neighborhood Program participants.
- Efficiency Maine. Team lead for development of Maine Residential New Construction Technical Baseline Study, resulting in influencing adoption of Maine’s energy code. 2007- 2008.
- Efficiency Vermont. Senior Advisor for residential program design and policy guidance for Vermont’s statewide, award-winning energy efficiency utility. 2000-present.
- Groton School, Groton, MA. Lead the development of a campus-wide assessment and follow-on services resulting in significant multi-year investments in energy improvements. 2006-present.
- High Meadows Fund (Vermont Community Foundation). Interviews and research of Vermont Home Performance Contractors and fuel dealers, findings, recommendations, presentation, report and follow-on market development. 2012.
- ICF Consulting. Assisted with enhancements and modifications to EPA’s ENERGY STAR Labeled Homes Program. 2006.
- Iowa Office of Consumer Advocate. Team lead for utility program portfolio review, testimony development, and on-going program modifications and enhancements. 2008-present.
- Joint Management Committee (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Hampshire utilities). Oversight of the regional ENERGY STAR Homes Programs as a representative for the non-utility parties. 2003-2007.
- LEED for Homes Provider. Led the Northeast team (of six firms) implementing the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED for Homes rating system in the Northeast United States and Canada. 2006-2009.
- Long Island Power Authority. Team lead on program design, planning, policy guidance and technical assistance on residential and multifamily sectors and development of Long Island Residential New Construction Technical Baseline Study. 2003-2010.
- Massachusetts Energy Efficiency Advisory Council. Consultant overseeing the residential new construction and existing homes programs in Massachusetts. 2007-present.
- Natural Resources Defense Council. Researched and developed white paper on policy options for building energy disclosure policies. Worked with three communities to implement the recommended policies. 2012- present.
- New Jersey Office of Clean Energy, Board of Public Utilities. Senior Advisor for program design and oversight of New Jersey ENERGY STAR Homes Program assisting the Honeywell Team and the Office of Clean Energy design and develop program modifications and enhancements, set goals, and provide budgeting and implementation assistance. 2004-2010.
- Northeast HERS Alliance. President of the Board and manager of the regional initiative involving dozens of organizations and individuals working to further HERS and Energy Mortgages in the region. 1998-2007.
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA). Senior Advisor in development of New York Energy Code Compliance Study. 2010 – 2011.
- RESNET HERS Standards Drafting Committee. Participant in nine-person committee responsible for updating the Mortgage Industry National HERS Standards. 2002.
- Rhode Island Energy Efficiency and Resource Management Council. Consultant overseeing the residential new construction and existing homes programs in Rhode Island. 2008-present.
- U.S. Department of Energy/Better Buildings Neighborhood Program (BBNP). Supported Eastern Resources Group (ERG) and other DOE subs in development of strategic approaches and support materials in moving BBNP programs to success and sustainability.
- U.S. Department of Energy/Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Senior Advisor and Aggregated Products lead for Program Design Team of DOE’s Technical Assistance Project for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) communities and states. 2010-2011.
- U.S. DOE/National Renewable Energy Laboratory/Integrated Building and Construction Solutions (IBACOS). Led development of a series of fact sheets as part of a guide to assist HVAC contractors to transition to become whole-house home performance contractors. 2011.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Assisted with enhancements and modifications to EPA’s ENERGY STAR Homes Program. Assisted with development of multifamily ENERGY STAR program, Advanced Lighting Package and remodeling program. 2003-2010.
- U.S. Green Building Council: Sub-contractor to Building Knowledge Research Group LLC to help develop LEED for Homes residential green rating system and implementation strategy. 2005.
- Vermont Department of Public Service. Senior Advisor to NMR Group on baseline study of residential new construction and remodeling in Vermont. 2011 – present.
- Vermont Department of Public Service: Led consulting team in the development of the Vermont Energy Code Compliance Plan. 2011 – 2012.
- Vermont Residential Energy Code. Consultant and negotiator in the update of the Code and development of a mechanical ventilation standard for Vermont. 1999-2003. Representative for Efficiency Vermont on the Code Steering Committee for the Code update process. 2010-2011.
- Accelerating Energy Efficiency in the New Construction Market with Stretch Codes, Proceedings of ACEEE 2012 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2012.
- Residential Energy Disclosure Policies, for the Natural Resources Defense Council, June 2012.
- Energy Efficiency Financing Programs Review, for the Connecticut Fund for the Environment/Environment Northeast, June 2012.
- Interviews with Vermont Home Performance Contractors and Fuel Dealers, for the High Meadows Fund, May 2012.
- Vermont Energy Code Compliance Plan, for the Vermont Department of Public Service, January 2012.
- The Costs and Benefits of Measuring if States Meet 90% Compliance with Building Codes, (with R. Wirtshafter et. al.), Proceedings of the International Energy Program Evaluation Conference (IEPEC), August 2011.
- New York Energy Code Compliance Study, (with VEIC et. al.) New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), pending publication.
- Elements of Retrofit Program Incentive Design, (with J. Grevatt) for the US DOE Technical Assistance Project, pending publication on the DOE Solution Center web site, completed 2011.
- Energy Disclosure and Upgrade Policies (with R. Foster) for the US DOE Technical Assistance Project, pending publication on the DOE Solution Center web site, completed 2011.
- Funding for Energy Efficiency Programs for Unregulated Fuels, (with M. Testa) for the US DOE Technical Assistance Project, pending publication on the DOE Solution Center web site, completed 2011.
- Residential Retrofit Program Design Guide, (with K. Tohinaka, N, Kuhn and D. Quinlan) for the US DOE Technical Assistance Project, published on the DOE Solution Center web site, May 2011.
- “$300,000, 4 Bedrooms and a ‘B+’ Energy Rating” – Transforming Markets with Mandatory Building Energy Labeling” (with Philippe Dunsky, et. al.), Proceedings of ACEEE 2010 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, August 2010.
- Valuing Building Energy Efficiency Through Disclosure and Upgrade Policies: A Roadmap for the Northeast U.S., with Dunsky Energy Consulting for the Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP), November 2009.
- “Maine New Homes: How a Baseline Study Can Set You Straight”, (with L. Badger, P. Scheckel and D. Conant), 2008 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings Proceedings, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Washington, DC, August 2008.
- “Energy Efficient Lighting in ENERGY STAR® Homes…It Just Keeps Getting Better”, (with J. Walsh, M. McNally, J. Livermore, W. Blake, S. Bonanno, D. Conant, and L. Hoefgen), 2006 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings Proceedings, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Washington, DC, August 2006.
- “Residential New Construction Baseline Study Best Practices: Lessons Learned from Long Island, New York”, (with T. Galvin, S. Slote and K. Harrison), 2004 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings Proceedings, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Washington, DC, August 2004.
- “Herding Cats: Developing a Uniform Approach to Achieving Energy Efficiency in High-Rise Multifamily Buildings for EPA’s ENERGY STAR Program”, (with D. Hepinstall, and N. Stone), 2004 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings Proceedings, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Washington, DC, August 2004.
- Long Island Residential New Construction Technical Baseline Study, for the Long Island Power Authority. May 2004.
- “Requirements for Labeling and Disclosure of Building Energy Efficiency”, Regulatory Assistance Project Advocates Webinar, March, 2012.
- “90% Code Compliance with HERS Raters” and “Energy Disclosure Policies: How to Gain Traction”, RESNET Conference, Austin, Texas, February 2012.
- Testimony to Vermont Senate and House Committees on Natural Resources and Energy on S.143 & H.497, “Building Energy Disclosure Legislation”, February 2012.
- “Residential Retrofit Program Design Guide Overview”, U.S. DOE Technical Assistance Program National Webcast, May 2011.
- “Supporting Energy-Efficiency Codes and Standards through DSM/EE Programs”, Regulatory Assistance Project Advocates Webinar, April, 2011.
- “UVM Green Building Class – The History of LEED for Homes”, University of Vermont, Guest Lecturer, Burlington, Vermont, February, 2011.
- “H.57: Energy Performance Disclosure”, Vermont House of Representatives General, Housing and Military Affairs Committee testimony, February 2011.
- “What’s Happening with New Construction Standards”, Yestermorrow Design/Build School, Guest Lecturer, Warren, Vermont, February 2011.
- “Designing Effective Incentives to Drive Residential Retrofit Program Participation”, U.S. DOE Technical Assistance Program National Webcast, October 2010.
- “Vermont Residential Code Update”, Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP) Regional EMV Forum and Public Policy Workshop: Roadmap to Claiming Savings from Building Energy Codes and Appliance Standards, Marlborough, MA, September 2010.
- “Designing Effective Retrofit Programs”, U.S. DOE Technical Assistance Program National Webcast, August 2010.
- Chair, Funding and Finance Committee, (Vermont) Thermal Efficiency Task Force, 2012
- Member, (International) Zero Energy Homes Task Force, 2012
- Member, Vermont Legislature’s Building Energy Disclosure Working Group, 2011
- Board Director, Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET), 2002 – 2010
- Board Director, Building for Social Responsibility, 1996 – 2000, 2005 – present
- Member, Vermont Builds Greener Program Committee, 2000 – present
- Member, US Green Building Council / LEED for Homes Core Committee, 2003 – 2008
- Member, High-Rise Multifamily ENERGY STAR National Working Group, 2003 – 2007